Updates to OA Elections for 2019 [Download PPTX | PDF ]
The OA has more than 160,000 active members located in lodges affiliated with over 270 BSA local councils.
- Be a registered member of the Boy Scouts of America with a TROOP, CREW, OR SHIP
- The youth must have experienced 15 nights of Boy Scout camping while registered with a troop or team within the two years immediately prior to the election. The 15 nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of at least five consecutive nights of overnight camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. Only five nights of the long-term camp may be credited toward the 15-night camping requirement. The balance of the camping (10 nights) must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps of, at most, three nights each.
- Note: Camping nights may be combined between various BSA organizations.
- Youth must be under the age of 21, meet the rank requirement for the type of unit the election is being held at (see below), be approved by the unit leader, and be elected by the youth members of their troop, team, crew, or ship.
- Rank Requirements
- Troop = First Class
- Crew = Discovery Pin
- Ship = Ordinary Rank
- Rank Requirements
- A scout may be on an election ballot in more than one unit that they are registered with as long as they meet the rank requirements for the type of unit the election is being held in.
- Adults (age 21 or older) who are registered in the BSA and meet the camping requirements may be selected following nomination to the lodge adult selection committee. Adult selection is based on their ability to perform the necessary functions to help the Order fulfill its purpose, and is not for recognition of service, including current or prior positions. Selected adults must be an asset to the Order because of demonstrated abilities, and must provide a positive example for the growth and development of the youth members of the lodge.
Due to COVID closing many long term camping locations, for the 2021 Election Year ONLY, the 15 nights camping does not need to include 5 long term camping nights. Instead, all 15 nights can be accomplished via short term campouts. This is for Youth & Adult Eligibility. Read Egwa’s Announcement HERE or OA National’s Announcement HERE.
ELECTING NEW MEMBERS UNIT ELECTIONS [ HIGH QUALITY 327 MB, MP4 ]
Guide to Unit elections [ DOWNLOAD ]
Detailed faq [ DOWNLOAD ]