Description: Marietta 4th of July Let Freedom Ring Parade
Location: Roswell Street Baptist Church (774 Roswell St, Marietta)
When: Thursday, July 4, 2019 9:30 AM (EDT) – 11:15 AM (EDT)
Join the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts & Venture Scouts in carrying the largest flag in Cobb County.
No registration. Just show up in full Class A uniform (required).
Scouts BSA, Cub Scouts, Venture Scouts, and adults will carry the largest flag while the Cub Scouts will carry a smaller (but still large) flag.
STARTING LOCATION: Meet at the parade staging area at the northwestern parking lot of the Roswell Street Baptist Church (774 Roswell St, Marietta, map link pinpoints starting point for the flag.) by 9:30 am or earlier. This is located at the corner of Roswell St. and Victory Dr.
Although the parade starts at 10 am, the flag is in the middle of the parade and we usually won’t start walking until after 10:20.
DETAILS: (if your first time, read everything below very carefully.
There will be no one person in charge of the event or your child.
Cub Scouts MUST have an adult in charge of them AND WITH them at all times during the walk.
Boy Scouts must have an adult or a buddy.
The parade WILL BE HOT! and could take an hour or more to walk. Younger children may not be able to walk the entire route. Make plans for picking up mid route accordingly.
Bring Water! And lots of it.
Let me repeat this… BRING WATER! We will have SOME water to refill bottles on route but we can’t assure you there will be enough to go around to the end of the parade.
And sometimes we have to say the obvious …
- Drink the water your brought. Make sure your Scouts do, too.
- Watch weather forecast for potential rain. Dress accordingly.
- Wear sunscreen.
- We recommend that toddlers and strollers NOT attend.
- Parents walking in the parade should be able to attend to their Scouts if needed.
- Roads near the parade start point will close at some point. You may have to walk a bit to the church.
- Bring something for the Scouts to do to pass the time while we wait to start. (Electronics are easy, but let’s find something “scouting” for them to do instead.)
- BSA rules forbid us from carrying or displaying any political advertisements as part of the Scout group.
- There will be Port-a-Johns in the starting area.
The route is approx. 1.5 miles traveling along Roswell Rd past the Marietta National Cemetery. It takes a right onto East Park Street/Cherokee St in the square and ends at the corner of Cherokee and Kennesaw Ave.
There is a parking lot on the above mentioned corner that we will move into to fold the flag. (Map link pinpoints this parking lot. https://goo.gl/maps/oMdN1)
We ask that you walk with your scout, but if you’re unable to, you can pick them up in this parking lot or in the parking lot next to the Cobb County Police HQ across the street OR elsewhere near this corner.
There will be a free City buses that can shuttle you back to the church
OR you can have someone waiting for you
OR you can return to the square for July 4 activities
OR watch the rest of the parade.
Questions: Please contact Chase Crowson at firstname.lastname@example.org